Thursday, May 7, 2009

April 2009

Just a quick one... I was in Budapest over St. Paddy's day long weekend, and have posted the pics on my Flickr site as per usual... I tend to leave Ireland on this particular weekend, even though it's such a big event here. It's mostly just a weekend of stepped-up drinking, which doesn't appeal to me. It's always fun to take the air coach through the city centre on my way home and see all the shenanigans still happening on the streets...

Anyway, Budapest is a brilliant city -- lots to see and do, and it's just simply gorgeous. The Danube splits the city in half, creating Buda on the west, and Pest on the east. That's my big fun fact -- that Budapest is actually two different cities -- who knew?? I went with my friend Kerry and we had a blast seeing the sights, tasting the regional delicacies (wine, kolbassa, pate, pastries, and more wine), and trying all the different baths in the city. We went to three different ones -- they're sort of like a collection of pools of all different temperatures, along with steam rooms and saunas. Most of them offer massage and are really for therapeutic purposes -- they're not touristy places, except for the Gellert Baths, which are part of a big hotel, and was our least favourite of the three. The best one was almost like a palace and the open courtyard space had three huge pools for us to play in. The old Hungarian men bring their chess boards and play each other in the pools. We had a Turkish massage at one of them, which was agonizing, but felt great at the same time...as I believe a massage should! Was a great weekend.

For Easter my friend Robin and I are off to Belgium for the weekend...going to see Bruges and maybe Ghent...can't wait for those moules frites!

Love Tessa

No comments: