Saturday, February 13, 2010

Good news...and more good news

Hey all,

I figured it was about time for another update, as some people have been asking what's going on with me over here. So, I'll start with the big/good news first...

I've been offered a full-time, permanent position with Capital IQ (the company I'm currently on contract with). Effective immediately I'm their Training Manager, overseeing all roles in the transcripts department. This means I have to become familar with all the roles and related processes, aside from the voice writing role, which is what I've been focused on primarily since I started here. It's going to be a huge amount of work, but I'm really loving it. I think this is the first time in my working life that I haven't been bored, which is saying a lot.

So to further the good news, this position will be based in Vancouver - woo hoo - so I will be moving back home mid-May. My contract officially ends on April 30 but they want me to stay a couple of weeks past that. AND they're giving me two weeks of paid holiday time to settle in and set up before I start work again on June 1. AND because there's no Vancouver office (aside from Michele's house), I'll be working from home so they're shipping me a laptop, desktop, printer/fax, and a Blackberry. I've never worked from home before and I'm a little concerned about my social needs, but I'll make it work. The job involves about 25% travel to Manila, so I'll be back and forth a bit, which of course opens up travel opportunities :)

In other news, I've been doing some traveling - shocking I know. Michele was here for three weeks in January, and on one weekend we did a day trip down to a place called Tagaytay. Tagaytay is famous for Lake Taal, which has an island in the middle of it, which has a volcano in the middle of it, which has a lake inside it. And inside that...no, just kidding. It was a fun trip, and the hike to the top of the crater was pretty easy, which was good as it was mid-afternoon and pretty warm out. The only downside to the day was that we took a small catamaran boat across to the island and the lake was very choppy, so we got absolutely drenched both ways - coming back was much worse. We were completey soaked, and had no dry clothes or towels. Our driver eventually found some plastic ponchos for us to sit on, so we didn't get the back seat all wet, but it was a bit uncomfortable having dinner in wet clothes and being in a car with the AC on all the way back to Manila.

The following weekend we flew down to Boracay, a tiny little island paradise in the south. It's the place to be in the Philippines, and it really is spectacular. It has that fine white sand beach and clear blue water that I thought only existed in Photoshopped pictures. We were very lazy and did little besides lay on the beach (under umbrellas), read, wander up and down the beach, go for short dips, and drink mango shakes. I could live on mango shakes... Was a lovely relaxing weekend.

Last weekend, as a birthday present to myself, I went with my friend Jenny and a number of her friends down south to a place called Donsol, which is famous for being a gathering place for whale sharks - or Butanding, as they call them here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_shark) They take you out on a boat and they have spotters who look for the sharks. You wait, outfitted in your mask and snorkel and flippers, and when the guide yells GO! you jump in and find yourself face to face with the largest fish on the planet. They are so cool - their mouths are about six feet wide and their bodies are just enormous - so sleek and smooth. You have to kick pretty hard to keep up with them and eventually they outpace you, or descend out of sight, and you climb back up on the boat and wait for the guide to yell GO again. Totally euphoric experience being in the water with them. That evening we also did an evening firefly boat tour - really amazing, but impossible to describe. Like a living light show.

So, things are pretty swishy here with me. I am excited about moving back to Vancouver, as that's what I feel ready to do now. I'm feeling very blessed with all the good fortune that I've had lately, so am trying not to upset the balance of the universe that's responsible for it:)

Sidenote: I have finally finished uploading my Camino set, which is on my Flickr site for those of you who are interested.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tessajane/sets/

That's all for now,
Love Tessa

No comments: