Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Beyond the Pale

Yesterday, I learned the origin of this expression. I never would have guessed it has a strong connotation to Ireland...

The word "pale" is used to refer to a territory or jurisdiction under a specific authority -- often one that was foreign to the territory itself, such as when a city is occupied after an invasion.

The most famous pale was in Ireland (according to Wikipedia), when it was occupied by England and was often known simply as "the Pale" or "the English Pale." The area of the pale was Dublin and the surrounding 20 mile radius.

The phrase "beyond the pale" means to go beyond the limits of law or decency...by extension meaning that everyone who lived outside the pale was not living in a lawful manner -- they were wild Celts.

I think I'd like to live beyond the pale when I'm in Ireland. :)

3 comments:

John Dumbrille said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Dumbrille said...

Im sure you will Tessa!
And I hope youll go beyond Pale Ale asa well. They have lots of wonderful Irish Ales, stouts and lager that I'm sure youll be knocking back! :)

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time in Ireland and keep us posted on your adventures!