Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The rumours are true...Ireland really is GREEN

Spent a lovely weekend in Galway recently...despite the hostel experience that just made me feel *really old*

Galway city is charming and located right on the picturesque Galway Bay. But the real highlight for me was getting into the surrounding countryside -- actually into County Clare, which is just south of County Galway. I did a bus tour on Sunday into a place called The Burren, which means Rocky Country. It's very rocky, but also very green and lush. We did a hill walk on a farm that has been in the same family for over 250 years. Our guide told us all about the history of the area and pointed out the various flora and fauna. We hiked up the mountain behind the farm and could see all the way out to the bay. The day was gorgeous and sunny, mild and warm. We continued to the famous Cliffs of Moher, which were beautiful...but the real highlight for me was the walk.

In general the countryside was just totally gorgeous...mile after mile of green fields and low stone walls. I just loved it...could've stared at it all day.

Pictures are up on Flickr!

I've decided I'm going to stay in Dublin -- at least base myself out of here, because this is where the lion's share of the work is. I have some irons in the fire for some permanent positions, and am looking into some temp work in the meantime. Will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lush & green is swell and nice,
but how is the beer and how is the price?